Monday, June 29, 2009

etnic roots

As I was looking for inspiration for the EST challenge, Kraplap told me I could also let me inspire by the traditional clothing of the countrys were my adopted kids were born.
She did not have to ask me twice, I admire the etnic roots of my kids!Flower Hmong
My eldest daughter Maia Dinh Thi Phuong is born in Hoa Bhin in Vietnam, situated in the mountains not far from Hanoi. As most of the Vietnamese have the ethny Khin, my daughter was originated from the Hmong, a minority Ethny who live in the mountains. I am very proud of that :-)

Noted most among their many crafts, their embroidery is stunning. The H'mong are among few people left in the world who, for the most part, still make their own clothes independently. Even if they buy the yarn at a local market, they still typically weave and embroider the fabric themselves. Many H'mong, though, still cultivate and dye, using local indigo plants, the cotton and hemp from which they make their clothing. From newborns to the recently deceased, the H'mong are dressed in finery. Other noteworthy crafts include the silversmithing and bronze making of jewelry. Indeed silver acts as a bona fide currency for them.



The eaarings are already available in my shop.

11 comments:

kraplap said...

great pictures Greet ! and you have a very beautiful daughter !!

Kreativlink said...

Gorgeous! Your beautiful daughter can be very proud about her roots!

ZenaZ said...

A great way to get your inspiration!

LeelaBijou said...

Wonderful!! Fantastic inspiration!

Monica said...

What beautiful photos and a gorgeous daughter! Great place to draw inspiration from :)

Kaja said...

Wonderful pictures. Love the pic of the woman with the little baby on her back!

I love your interpretation of the theme too!

RitaJC said...

Great post! Thank you so much for sharing!

ira said...

Beuatiful young lady, I can see why you so proud with her!:)

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Your daughter is very beautiful, and I love looking at your new jewelry which reflects your daughter's cultural roots! Stunning!

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Beautiful daugther you have, Fleur! She looks very happy too! :)

Zoua said...

Hello! I was very surprised and excited to see that you have a Hmong daughter! I am Hmong and I live in the US. My family originated from Laos and Thailand. Hmong people live all over the world now and I was pleasantly surprised that you guys live in Belgium. :)